ARE YOU READY FOR WINTER?
Check out my Quick & Easy Guide to Home Winter Proofing
- Test your alarms and smoke detectors.
- Check fire extinguishers. Do you even have any? Costco and Home Depot offer different sizes for all homes. Know someone that just moved into a home? This could be a great holiday gift!
- Make sure you have emergency supplies in both your home and vehicle.
- Replace furnace filter. This applies to condo and home owners.
- Clean dryer vents.
- Test and clean all exhaust fans.
- Move furniture away from vents for optimal heat efficiency.
- Look for any gaps or cracks that allow heat to escape and seal them up to keep heat in.
- Adding a few rugs that match your decor can help to keep floors warm.
- Hire a professional to inspect/clean your fireplace and furnace (if applicable).
- Place a cover over your exterior A/C unit to protect it from the elements.
- Changing ceiling fans to blow clockwise helps to push warm air around the room.
- Pick a room in the house and do a very thorough clean out. Unnecessary clutter/stuff can be a great way to miss leaks or critters. Not to mention it just feels good to have a clean space.
- Trim vegetation so no leaves touch the walls of your home.
- Do a walkaround check of the foundation – look for any cracks or leaks.
- Empty and turn off any exterior faucets.
- Inspect exterior caulking for any shrinking or cracks – replace as needed.
Roof and Attic
- Perform a roof inspection and repair any loose shingles.
- Keep gutters clean of any debris will allow water to drain freely.
- Top up your attic insulation.