Mould is something we, as home owners, hope we don't have – but in reality don’t really know if we do because it is not always that easy to see or smell.
With the recent weather here in the city of Toronto, and all of our homes – it is important to take mould into consideration. Even if you don't live in a house, you can still be at risk.
To properly test for mould you need to get:
- an infrared inspection
- an air quality test
There are now a few companies that can do this:
*For pricing please contact the companies.
Even if you have never had any water damage, but have been in your home or condo for a while it might be advisable to schedule a test, even just for piece of mind.
Now for the basics:
What is it?
Mould can be any fungus that grows on food, walls, or porous materials. Mould in your home can contribute to poor indoor air quality and health issues especially in children and those with respiratory problems such as asthma. Mould thrives on poor ventilation and a high concentration of moisture.
Signs of mould:
- Stains or discolouration on floors, walls, fabrics and carpet – visible mould is a bad sign
- A musty odour – mould is not always visible and can grow inside walls and in ceiling tiles
How to get rid of mould:
The reality is you will probably require professional help to effectively remove mould. If it is a really small area, you can try to clean the mouldy surface with water and dish detergent. Be sure to use gloves, goggles and a mask.
Otherwise, try to eliminate moisture (both as a remedy and preventative measure)
- Repair any leaks as soon as they occur
- Ensure clothes dryers are properly vented. This is especially important when living in a condo. Both from a fire and efficiency perspective.
- Avoid over watering plants and watch for mould in pots
- Ensure shower, tub and sink are properly sealed
- Use exhaust fans in kitchen and bathroom or open windows for a short period of time to circulate air.